By now you probably have all of your decorations up in your home. Maybe you have a fireplace with stockings hanging by the mantle or your Christmas tree all lit up and decorated. Here are a few tips to make sure everything stays beautiful this holiday season without the chance of a house fire.
What's the Best Preventative Measure You Can Take?
The best way to ensure that you and your family are safe during the holidays and all year long is to have effective carbon monoxide smoke detectors in your home. You should also test them throughout the year. You should test them after all of your decorations are up as well.
Pick the Right Christmas Tree
If you picked out an artificial tree, make sure it says that it's "fire-resistant". If you have a real tree, it is imperative that you keep it watered at all times. A dry Christmas tree is the leading cause of house fires in the US.
The Fireplace Can be a Dangerous Area
Make sure when your stockings are hung by your chimney they are done with care. Fires can easily start when stockings are too close to a heat source. Move them to the side so they are not near the fire. Also, it can be tempting to throw wrapping paper into the fire. This is a hazard because the paper can fly back into the room and spark a fire.
Be Smart When Using Candles
If you do use festive candles, make sure they are in an area away from other holiday decorations. Snuff them out, don't blow them out. This could cause embers to fly into the air and spark a fire. Try and find battery-operated candles. They give the look and glow of real candles and are safer.
Using Indoor Holiday Lights
If your lights are frayed or exposed wires, throw them away. They could cause a spark and a fire. You should never string more than three light strands together. They can overload your circuit. Never hide cords under the carpet. They could overheat and cause a fire. Make sure you use the correct lights for indoor and outdoor use. Also, be sure to shut all Christmas lights off when you leave home or go to bed.