Restaurant chain Applebee's found them self in a blunder recently after a 15-month-old boy in Michigan was accidentally served an alcohol-infused margarita instead of apple juice. This has prompted Applebee's to retrain all of its servers in all states, in addition to changing the way certain drinks are served.

The little boy is Dominic Dill-Reese from Oak Park, Michigan. After drinking from a sippy cup at a Madison Heights chain, he began to act weird and then eventually laid his head on the table. He was later found to have a BAC of 0.10, which is higher than the legal limit for an average adult.

The boy's mother tasted the "juice" and determined it was an alcoholic beverage. Police think the drink came from a mislabeled bottle at the bar. Why they take juice from a bar when it comes to toddlers is beyond me. It's an accident waiting to happen, and it has before for Applebee's, according to The Detroit News:

In a related matter, Chad Wuthrick of Salem, Ohio, told The News his wife and year-old daughter had a similar experience after ordering apple juice at an Applebee's in Hermitage, PA., on Dec. 3.

After she took a drink she started gagging and spit it out, he said.

In June 2007, a two-year-old Antioch, Calif., boy was served a margarita drink instead of apple juice at an Applebee's. A year earlier, a five-year-old New York City boy was given a Long Island iced tea.

It's shocking to see how many times this has happened. Like doesn't the waiter/ress know what juice looks like? They could at least smell it to make sure it's not an alcoholic beverage. This is a problem that can easily be prevented. Applebee's agrees, as starting this week, they will be changing their ways and retraining their staff. They are taking actions to  prevent this from happening again.

It is immediately retraining servers on beverage pouring policy, emphasizing that nonalcoholic and alcoholic beverages must be stored in completely separate and identified containers.

Starting this week, they will also implement the following: when serving apple juice, particularly, the server will pour the juice, which will come from a single-serve container, right at the table, in front of the customers.

Dominic's parents are not taking serious action against Applebee's, but Melissa Racer, a spokeswoman for the chain, stated that the incident will be thoroughly investigated internally as well as by local police. The restaurant released the following statement:

We want to express how thankful we are that the child involved in the incident at our restaurant in Madison Heights, Mich., on April 8, was not seriously injured as a result of accidentally receiving the wrong beverage, the statement read. We also want to apologize to his parents, for the stress and worry this caused them.
What do you think of this news? What if this happened to your child? What would you do? Do you think this could have been prevented earlier or do you have other suggestions? What drink would you accidentally want to be served?

More From Q 105.7