NY Family Giving Away This Farm House During Essay Contest
This is not a scam, it's totally legit. A New York family has lived in this Victorian farm home for 18 years and they want to move, so they are offering it up as a grand prize in an essay contest that costs $150 to enter.
Tim and Maggie Lott have worked out everything with their legal team, and they're able to do this essay contest legally and with very little strings attached in the Summerland Farm Essay Contest. Their 5-acre Victorian farm house sits in Corning, New York and they've had issues selling the property and want to move. The house is valued at around $175,000.
Basically, according to NewYorkUpstate.com, the contest works like this:
- Write and essay about "What owning a five acre farm property would mean to me, us and/or my family" in at least 500 words, but no more than 1000.
- The entry fee is $150 and the essay deadline is July 1, 2019. Essays must be postmarked no later than June 24, 2019. The winner will be chosen on or before July 31, 2019.
- According to the story in NewYorkUpstate.com, the Lotts will not see any of the essays during the contest. They plan to use a 'courier service with a professional who picks up the mail and sends every submission to the attorney'.
- Three judges, not in any way related to the family and that have no connections to the farm, will judge the best essay.
- In addition to the house, the winner gets a check for $10,000 while the second prize is $1,000 and third prize is $500.
For more information and to submit your essay, click here.